TheSpoonyBoard
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

gathering of friends and geeks discussing and promoting whatever we like.

TheSpoonyBardTheSpoonyBard  HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

The book(s) you're currently reading

Go down 
4 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
Rob
bard
Rob

The book(s) you're currently reading Empty
PostSubject: The book(s) you're currently reading   The book(s) you're currently reading EmptyWed Apr 30, 2008 10:26 am

Just finished A Game of Thrones by George R. R. Martin, the author of the beloved short story Sandkings, and I must say. It was great!

It's the first book of a series that he's still currently writing called A Song of Ice and Fire.
I just started book 2, A Clash of Kings.

As I first began reading A Game of Thrones, I immediately noticed how different from any other fantasy novel it really was. There is no gooey, happy-go-lucky feelings of love and romance like other fantasy novels. It all seems very real and each character has flaws and is just as human as the next person.

In short, it seems to be a fantasy series for adults, chalked full of dark human nature and compelling story telling. Martin really keeps you on the edge of your seat as he is not afraid to kill off main characters. Personally, I love it when authors do this because it makes for more suspensful reading. If you know the main character isn't going to die, then how can you fear for them while reading?

Pick it up, you won't regret it.
Back to top Go down
http://showcase.netins.net/web/sanguinethrone/
cocoabean
Admin
cocoabean

PostSubject: Re: The book(s) you're currently reading   The book(s) you're currently reading EmptyWed Apr 30, 2008 10:43 am

Sounds pretty good, though I do have to say that from the title to the series name all indications were that this was indeed going to be yet another cookie cutter fantasy novel. Sounds kind of like the Sword of Truth series to me. Also a gritty fantasy that isn't afraid to delve into the dark reality of humans.
Back to top Go down
http://thespoonybard.com
Matt
Admin
Matt

PostSubject: Re: The book(s) you're currently reading   The book(s) you're currently reading EmptyWed Apr 30, 2008 10:47 am

scottro wrote:
Sounds pretty good, though I do have to say that from the title to the series name all indications were that this was indeed going to be yet another cookie cutter fantasy novel. Sounds kind of like the Sword of Truth series to me. Also a gritty fantasy that isn't afraid to delve into the dark reality of humans.

Yet the 'Sword of Truth' doesn't sound like a cookie cutter series? Wink
Back to top Go down
cocoabean
Admin
cocoabean

PostSubject: Re: The book(s) you're currently reading   The book(s) you're currently reading EmptyWed Apr 30, 2008 11:19 am

oh yea, totally. But again, great series that definately is anything but cookie cutter. I actually felt like the Author was a dick Twisted Evil sometimes for putting these people through so much shit. (but in a good way) hehe.
Back to top Go down
Matt
Admin
Matt

PostSubject: Re: The book(s) you're currently reading   The book(s) you're currently reading EmptyWed Apr 30, 2008 11:40 am

There's only one problem with everything you have said..

You can't read.
Back to top Go down
Rob
bard
Rob

PostSubject: Re: The book(s) you're currently reading   The book(s) you're currently reading EmptyWed Apr 30, 2008 12:00 pm

Yeah, it's gritty alright.

You won't find unicorns who shoot rainbows at grumpy bears in this series.
Back to top Go down
Bone
chighur-licious
Bone

PostSubject: Re: The book(s) you're currently reading   The book(s) you're currently reading EmptyWed Apr 30, 2008 12:45 pm

Rob wrote:
Just finished A Game of Thrones by George R. R. Martin, the author of the beloved short story Sandkings, and I must say. It was great!

It's the first book of a series that he's still currently writing called A Song of Ice and Fire.

As I first began reading A Game of Thrones, I immediately noticed how different from any other fantasy novel it really was. There is no gooey, happy-go-lucky feelings of love and romance like other fantasy novels. It all seems very real and each character has flaws and is just as human as the next person.

In short, it seems to be a fantasy series for adults, chalked full of dark human nature and compelling story telling. Martin really keeps you on the edge of your seat as he is not afraid to kill off main characters. Personally, I love it when authors do this because it makes for more suspensful reading. If you know the main character isn't going to die, then how can you fear for them while reading?

I'm currently reading AKOK, although I've been reading it on and off. I started in right away after AGOT, but realized I needed a break. of Things *really* take off in the 2nd book. A great read so far.

I finished up "No Country For Old Men" yesterday, and am near the end of an old Agatha Christie book, "The Mysterious Affair At Styles". Ir you loved or hated the movie of "No COuntry For Old Men, you owe it to yourself to read the book. Top notch.
Back to top Go down
Rob
bard
Rob

PostSubject: Re: The book(s) you're currently reading   The book(s) you're currently reading EmptyWed Apr 30, 2008 1:07 pm

After I'm done with what Martin has written of the series so far I'm probably going to finish reading everything Ray Bradbury has ever written. That should take a while but I'm a huge fanboi so it'll be worth it.

cheers
Back to top Go down
Bone
chighur-licious
Bone

PostSubject: Re: The book(s) you're currently reading   The book(s) you're currently reading EmptyFri May 02, 2008 12:52 pm

I forgot, I'm also re-reading "The Heroin Diaries". It's basically Nikki Sixx from Motley Crue's diary for a year starting on Xmas right before they started recording the Girls, Girls, Girls album. It also has present day comments from Nikki and a lot of other people who were around him at the time. It's funny, sad, freaky, depressing, but always eye opening.
Back to top Go down
Rob
bard
Rob

PostSubject: Re: The book(s) you're currently reading   The book(s) you're currently reading EmptyFri May 02, 2008 1:58 pm

Wow that sounds interesting. If I ever become a fan of Crue, I'll have to check it out.

Heck I may borrow it from you even now. Sounds pretty interesting.
Back to top Go down
Bone
chighur-licious
Bone

PostSubject: Re: The book(s) you're currently reading   The book(s) you're currently reading EmptyFri May 02, 2008 2:29 pm

Rob wrote:
Wow that sounds interesting. If I ever become a fan of Crue, I'll have to check it out.

Heck I may borrow it from you even now. Sounds pretty interesting.

Being a Crue fan is not a pre-requisite.
Back to top Go down
cocoabean
Admin
cocoabean

PostSubject: Re: The book(s) you're currently reading   The book(s) you're currently reading EmptyFri May 02, 2008 2:40 pm

You just have to like watching train wrecks.
Back to top Go down
Bone
chighur-licious
Bone

PostSubject: Re: The book(s) you're currently reading   The book(s) you're currently reading EmptyFri May 02, 2008 2:43 pm

scottro wrote:
You just have to like watching train wrecks.

Or reading them, as the case may be. Or is. In this case.

afro afro
Back to top Go down
cocoabean
Admin
cocoabean

PostSubject: Re: The book(s) you're currently reading   The book(s) you're currently reading EmptyMon May 05, 2008 2:55 pm

Rob wrote:

Alright Rob, I just picked this up on your recommendation, here's hoping for the best or your death will be a slow one.
Back to top Go down
Rob
bard
Rob

PostSubject: Re: The book(s) you're currently reading   The book(s) you're currently reading EmptyMon May 05, 2008 4:30 pm

You'll enjoy it, I promise. cheers
Back to top Go down
Bone
chighur-licious
Bone

PostSubject: Re: The book(s) you're currently reading   The book(s) you're currently reading EmptyMon May 05, 2008 5:54 pm

scottro wrote:
Rob wrote:

Alright Rob, I just picked this up on your recommendation, here's hoping for the best or your death will be a slow one.

You won't regret it.
Back to top Go down
Matt
Admin
Matt

PostSubject: Re: The book(s) you're currently reading   The book(s) you're currently reading EmptyTue May 06, 2008 1:39 pm

I am just about finished with Battle Royale, which is a great read. The concept of having a government controlled deathmatch between 50 junior high students on a secluded island is definitely interesting, and in this case, well executed.
Back to top Go down
cocoabean
Admin
cocoabean

PostSubject: Re: The book(s) you're currently reading   The book(s) you're currently reading EmptyTue May 06, 2008 1:52 pm

Haven't you been reading that for like 6 months now?
Back to top Go down
Bone
chighur-licious
Bone

PostSubject: Re: The book(s) you're currently reading   The book(s) you're currently reading EmptyTue May 06, 2008 2:30 pm

Matt wrote:
I am just about finished with Battle Royale, which is a great read. The concept of having a government controlled deathmatch between 50 junior high students on a secluded island is definitely interesting, and in this case, well executed.

Yeah, good book, read it a few years back.

The first movie they made off it is pretty good as well, but the 2nd one is fucking horrible.
Back to top Go down
Rob
bard
Rob

PostSubject: Re: The book(s) you're currently reading   The book(s) you're currently reading EmptyTue May 06, 2008 3:12 pm

Sounds like I'm going to have to pick this one up.
Back to top Go down
Matt
Admin
Matt

PostSubject: Re: The book(s) you're currently reading   The book(s) you're currently reading EmptyTue May 06, 2008 8:16 pm

scottro wrote:

Yea..I haven't read much over the Winter. Sad

Since the weather has gotten warmer, I finished a golf novel I was reading, got halfway through another book and have almost finished BR now. Its nice to go out on my patio and just read with a nice coffee at night.
Back to top Go down
cocoabean
Admin
cocoabean

PostSubject: Re: The book(s) you're currently reading   The book(s) you're currently reading EmptyTue May 06, 2008 9:04 pm

Matt wrote:
scottro wrote:

Yea..I haven't read much over the Winter. Sad

Since the weather has gotten warmer, I finished a golf novel I was reading, got halfway through another book and have almost finished BR now. Its nice to go out on my patio and just read with a nice coffee at night.

Woah, a golf novel, that sounds fascinating bounce ...tell me more about that...*leaves*
Back to top Go down
Matt
Admin
Matt

PostSubject: Re: The book(s) you're currently reading   The book(s) you're currently reading EmptyTue May 06, 2008 9:47 pm

Its actually a great read. Kind of like Caddyshack meets Catcher in the Rye.
Back to top Go down
cocoabean
Admin
cocoabean

PostSubject: Re: The book(s) you're currently reading   The book(s) you're currently reading EmptyTue May 06, 2008 9:50 pm

Matt wrote:
Its actually a great read. Kind of like Caddyshack meets Catcher in the Rye.

I've only ever heard the title Catcher in the Rye, I have no idea what its about. Question
Back to top Go down
Matt
Admin
Matt

PostSubject: Re: The book(s) you're currently reading   The book(s) you're currently reading EmptyTue May 06, 2008 10:22 pm

Its about the gay adventures of Rcott Sowley. It's 4,324 pages and just captures one day of this life. Just amazing.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: The book(s) you're currently reading   The book(s) you're currently reading Empty

Back to top Go down

The book(s) you're currently reading
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next