TheSpoonyBoard
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

gathering of friends and geeks discussing and promoting whatever we like.

TheSpoonyBardTheSpoonyBard  HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Favorite Authors?

Go down 
5 posters
AuthorMessage
Bone
chighur-licious
Bone

Favorite Authors? Empty
PostSubject: Favorite Authors?   Favorite Authors? EmptyThu May 08, 2008 4:52 pm

Thought we could use a new topic.

Favorite Author?

Mine, without a doubt, is Neil Gaiman. The man does it all, children's books, adult books, audio books, horror, comedy, comics, TV, movies. The impressive thing is, almost all of it is very good, some exceptional. He does have a few misses, although it seems to me that his misses happen in his short stories.

If you've never read any Gaiman and want to give him a try, start with his novel American Gods. Description can't do it justice. Just find it.

His Sandman graphic novels are worth buying. THere's 10 of them at $15-$20 each so you may want to check them out at B&N or Mayhem before buying.

Honorable mentions:

- George R.R. Martin - no explanation needed
- Stuart Woods - By the numbers detective stories, but quick easy reads
- Agatha Christie - Just started on her books, but am liking them alot so far

I've only read 2.5 George R.R. Martin books so far, but have been massively impressed with his books. IF you haven't read his book, Fevre Dream, it's worth tracking down.
Back to top Go down
cocoabean
Admin
cocoabean

Favorite Authors? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Favorite Authors?   Favorite Authors? EmptyThu May 08, 2008 8:48 pm

None of these are really in any order since I read books in spurts, 10 here then nothing for a year then 2 then nothing, etc.

Anne Rice: The original Vampire Chronicles were great, the mystique of vampires and eternal life couple with love & hate, struggling with how to survive for eternity, etc. I don't do it justice here but these are a great read.

Michael Crichton: This is another one I read most of his books all at once b/c I was so impressed from one to another. Some of the best were Jurassic Park, Sphere, and Andromeda Strain.

Terry Goodkind: Author of the best fantasy series I've read to date (though I am reading George R.R. Martin now so we'll see if that holds)

Dan Brown: Not just for Da Vinci's Code and Angels & Demons but also for his 2 other lesser known titles Digital Fortress and Deception Point

Timothy Zahn: Wrote what is generally accepted as Star Wars Episodes VII-IX, great reads for any star wars fans and possibly sci-fi fans in general. I've never read any of the star wars books but these are great.

Thats all I can think of right now.

Last edited by scottro on Fri May 09, 2008 9:31 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
http://thespoonybard.com
Matt
Admin
Matt

Favorite Authors? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Favorite Authors?   Favorite Authors? EmptyFri May 09, 2008 12:48 am

Eiji Yoshikawa is definitely my favorite. He has authored what are probably my two favorite novels of all time.

'Musashi', which is about the legendary Samurai, Miyamoto Musashi. It is easy to see why Japan considers him to such an inspirational character. This book expertly details his journey from village ruffian to master samurai in his endless pursuit of perfection. The battles he fought, the books he wrote, the canvas he painted on all had one purpose - to better himself as a warrior. The rise of Kojiro as his rival is unavoidable. Excellence linked both together, though in different ways, whether it be in technique or mindset. The showdown between these two would be more than worthy of its own novel. But with Musashi, it isn't about an ending, or even a beginning. It's a journey. I pity the person who could read this and not come away with a great deal of respect for this man.

'Taiko' chronicles the life of Toyotomi Hideyoshi, definitely one of the most important political figures in Japan's history. While Musashi was more about the journey of one man, Taiko represents one of the most crucial times for Japan as a country. The political turmoil for centuries had torn the country apart, leaving it in various clans continually warring with one another, with all of them working against any that attempted to unify them back under one rule.

I have yet to find anyone that can come close to spinning a character like Yoshikawa can. And until I do, there is no one that will top him on my list.

That Tolkien guy was pretty good too though.

Last edited by scottro on Fri May 09, 2008 9:29 am; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : corrected "teared" to "torn")
Back to top Go down
Matt
Admin
Matt

Favorite Authors? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Favorite Authors?   Favorite Authors? EmptyFri May 09, 2008 12:58 am

BTW - American Gods from Jim and Enders Game has been added to my list of books to read.
Back to top Go down
cocoabean
Admin
cocoabean

Favorite Authors? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Favorite Authors?   Favorite Authors? EmptyFri May 09, 2008 9:31 am

scottro wrote:
None of these are really in any order since I read books in spurts, 10 here then nothing for a year then 2 then nothing, etc.

Anne Rice: The original Vampire Chronicles were great, the mystique of vampires and eternal life couple with love & hate, struggling with how to survive for eternity, etc. I don't do it justice here but these are a great read.

Michael Crichton: This is another one I read most of his books all at once b/c I was so impressed from one to another. Some of the best were Jurassic Park, Sphere, and Andromeda Strain.

Terry Goodkind: Author of the best fantasy series I've read to date (though I am reading George R.R. Martin now so we'll see if that holds)

Dan Brown: Not just for Da Vinci's Code and Angels & Demons but also for his 2 other lesser known titles Digital Fortress and Deception Point

Timothy Zahn: Wrote what is generally accepted as Star Wars Episodes VII-IX, great reads for any star wars fans and possibly sci-fi fans in general. I've never read any of the star wars books but these are great.

Thats all I can think of right now.

Oh yes, and JK Rowling for the Harry Potter series.
Back to top Go down
Rob
bard
Rob

Favorite Authors? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Favorite Authors?   Favorite Authors? EmptyFri May 09, 2008 9:32 am

Ray Bradbury is my favorite author of all time. Without a doubt.
Back to top Go down
http://showcase.netins.net/web/sanguinethrone/
John
wannabe
John

Favorite Authors? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Favorite Authors?   Favorite Authors? EmptyFri May 09, 2008 9:51 am

Orson Scott Card for the Ender's Series, and a few others
R.A. Salvatore for his series in Forgotten Realms (Drizzt)
J.K. Rowling for Harry Potter (though she has become rather money hungry)
Ray Bradbury for lots of titles including Fahrenheit 451, Illustrated Man, etc
Margaret Weis and Tracy Hickman for their work in Dragonlance
Brian Jacques for the Redwall series/setting (in particular Pearls of Lutra was my favorite)

I need to read more Neutral
Back to top Go down
Rob
bard
Rob

Favorite Authors? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Favorite Authors?   Favorite Authors? EmptyFri May 09, 2008 5:36 pm

Guy Gavriel Kay is also quite good.
Back to top Go down
Matt
Admin
Matt

Favorite Authors? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Favorite Authors?   Favorite Authors? EmptySun May 11, 2008 12:14 am

John wrote:
Brian Jacques for the Redwall series/setting (in particular Pearls of Lutra was my favorite)

I read a series from Weis and Hickman, though not Dragonlance. The Death Gate series, I believe it was. Not too bad, though its been 10 years at least since I read one, so dont know how well it would hold up now. Ever check it out?
Back to top Go down
John
wannabe
John

Favorite Authors? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Favorite Authors?   Favorite Authors? EmptyMon May 12, 2008 9:04 am

Matt wrote:
John wrote:

I read a series from Weis and Hickman, though not Dragonlance. The Death Gate series, I believe it was. Not too bad, though its been 10 years at least since I read one, so dont know how well it would hold up now. Ever check it out?

Nope, but I just may check it out.
Back to top Go down
Rob
bard
Rob

Favorite Authors? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Favorite Authors?   Favorite Authors? EmptyMon May 12, 2008 6:16 pm

That's a lie.
Back to top Go down
Matt
Admin
Matt

Favorite Authors? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Favorite Authors?   Favorite Authors? EmptyTue May 13, 2008 8:17 am

You're a lie.
Back to top Go down
Rob
bard
Rob

Favorite Authors? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Favorite Authors?   Favorite Authors? EmptyTue May 13, 2008 1:33 pm

If anyone's interested in a good sci-fi read, check out "The Martian Chronicles" by Bradbury. It's a good collection of short stories (not unlike "The Illustrated Man") about the relationship between Mars and Earth.

Highly recommended.
Back to top Go down
cocoabean
Admin
cocoabean

Favorite Authors? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Favorite Authors?   Favorite Authors? EmptyTue May 13, 2008 3:21 pm

Rob wrote:
If anyone's interested in a good sci-fi read, check out "The Martian Chronicles" by Bradbury. It's a good collection of short stories (not unlike "The Illustrated Man") about the relationship between Mars and Earth.

Highly recommended.

They've formed a relationship?
Back to top Go down
Rob
bard
Rob

Favorite Authors? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Favorite Authors?   Favorite Authors? EmptyTue May 13, 2008 3:24 pm

Rob wrote:
sci-fi

Wink
Back to top Go down
Matt
Admin
Matt

Favorite Authors? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Favorite Authors?   Favorite Authors? EmptyTue May 13, 2008 3:52 pm

HOT
Back to top Go down
cocoabean
Admin
cocoabean

Favorite Authors? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Favorite Authors?   Favorite Authors? EmptyTue May 13, 2008 4:52 pm

Mars has too many craters and is a bit of a "big'n" - dealbraker.
Back to top Go down
Matt
Admin
Matt

Favorite Authors? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Favorite Authors?   Favorite Authors? EmptyTue May 13, 2008 4:54 pm

MORE HOT
Back to top Go down
Rob
bard
Rob

Favorite Authors? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Favorite Authors?   Favorite Authors? EmptyTue May 13, 2008 5:22 pm

scottro wrote:
"big'n"

Let's keep the topic on Mars and not on my private parts.
Back to top Go down
cocoabean
Admin
cocoabean

Favorite Authors? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Favorite Authors?   Favorite Authors? EmptyTue May 13, 2008 11:36 pm

Rob wrote:
scottro wrote:
"big'n"

Let's keep the topic on Mars and not on my private parts.

EVEN HOTTER
Back to top Go down
Rob
bard
Rob

Favorite Authors? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Favorite Authors?   Favorite Authors? EmptyWed May 14, 2008 8:42 am

Yeah, I got nothin'
Back to top Go down
Matt
Admin
Matt

Favorite Authors? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Favorite Authors?   Favorite Authors? EmptyWed May 14, 2008 9:04 am

HOTTEST
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Favorite Authors? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Favorite Authors?   Favorite Authors? Empty

Back to top Go down

Favorite Authors?
Page 1 of 1