TheSpoonyBoard
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

gathering of friends and geeks discussing and promoting whatever we like.

TheSpoonyBardTheSpoonyBard  HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

What I'll be playing instead of GTA4

Go down 
+3
Bone
cocoabean
juice
7 posters
AuthorMessage
juice
n00b

What I'll be playing instead of GTA4 Empty
PostSubject: What I'll be playing instead of GTA4   What I'll be playing instead of GTA4 EmptyTue Apr 29, 2008 4:48 pm

1. Assassin's Creed (totally overlooked during the Mass Effect, COD4, Orange Box binge of 2007-2008)

2. Lost Odyssey (currently on Disc 2 - I am way underleveled to beat the Sorcereress)

3. Portal ( Still need to beat some advanced maps )

4. Mass Effect ( my 2nd playthrough, I've stopped after playing Bring Down the Sky)

5. Crackdown ( This is how I like my GTA, hopefully Rockstar borrowed some of these elements)
Back to top Go down
cocoabean
Admin
cocoabean

PostSubject: RE: What I'll be playing instead of GTA4   What I'll be playing instead of GTA4 EmptyTue Apr 29, 2008 4:55 pm

All worthy of attention.
Back to top Go down
http://thespoonybard.com
Bone
chighur-licious
Bone

PostSubject: Re: What I'll be playing instead of GTA4   What I'll be playing instead of GTA4 EmptyTue Apr 29, 2008 4:57 pm

juice wrote:
1. Assassin's Creed (totally overlooked during the Mass Effect, COD4, Orange Box binge of 2007-2008)

2. Lost Odyssey (currently on Disc 2 - I am way underleveled to beat the Sorcereress)

4. Mass Effect ( my 2nd playthrough, I've stopped after playing Bring Down the Sky)

5. Crackdown ( This is how I like my GTA, hopefully Rockstar borrowed some of these elements)

1. Got bored and sold it.
2. Never played it.
3. Beat it. Awesome game and I need to replay it.
4. Played it for 1-20 minutes. Sold it.
5. Played it for quite a bit then sold it.

I'll be playing GTA4 on 360 (unlike some people named Matt, who shall rename nameless)
Back to top Go down
juice
n00b

PostSubject: Re: What I'll be playing instead of GTA4   What I'll be playing instead of GTA4 EmptyTue Apr 29, 2008 5:09 pm

Bone wrote:
juice wrote:

1. Got bored and sold it.
2. Never played it.
3. Beat it. Awesome game and I need to replay it.
4. Played it for 1-20 minutes. Sold it.
5. Played it for quite a bit then sold it.

I'll be playing GTA4 on 360 (unlike some people named Matt, who shall rename nameless)

re: Mass Effect: You never gave it a chance!
Back to top Go down
cocoabean
Admin
cocoabean

PostSubject: Re: What I'll be playing instead of GTA4   What I'll be playing instead of GTA4 EmptyTue Apr 29, 2008 5:11 pm

No doubt! 20 minutes?! That was a great game!
Back to top Go down
Bone
chighur-licious
Bone

PostSubject: Re: What I'll be playing instead of GTA4   What I'll be playing instead of GTA4 EmptyTue Apr 29, 2008 5:33 pm

Yar, I think I got rid of it more so I didn't feel so guilty about having it around and not playing it.

Plus, I sold it on Craigslist and made some good $$$.
Back to top Go down
Matt
Admin
Matt

PostSubject: Re: What I'll be playing instead of GTA4   What I'll be playing instead of GTA4 EmptyTue Apr 29, 2008 9:08 pm

I guess I need to start my own list.

Playing MLB: The Show right now. I also am going back through Okami, which is truly one of the most overlooked titles of all time. Okami shits all over Zelda IMO.

I am going through MGS2 again as well and will be going through #3 before MGS4 hits in June.

Of course, until my PS3 breaks the day it launches.
Back to top Go down
John
wannabe
John

PostSubject: Re: What I'll be playing instead of GTA4   What I'll be playing instead of GTA4 EmptyFri May 02, 2008 9:19 am

juice wrote:

1 - Got like 80% through the game and quit. Repetition Creed is more like it, seriously.

2 - Haven't played it yet, is it good?

3 - Awesome game

4 - One of the most over-hyped games ever. I could go on and on about how horrible it is (I'm prepared to get hit on this one)

5 - Awesome but it's annoying the head agent guy freaks out when you kill people and cops don't have to be around for you to get wanted level. Still a really good game
Back to top Go down
Rob
bard
Rob

PostSubject: Re: What I'll be playing instead of GTA4   What I'll be playing instead of GTA4 EmptyFri May 02, 2008 9:36 am

juice wrote:

1. Definately worth at least one playthrough. It really should be called Repetition Creed. I think that they were so excited about their shiny new game that the focus was mainly on the immersive, beautifully rendered environments rather than story and *cough* voice acting.
They're working on a sequel that will hopefully blow this one out of the water story wise.

I would say that you should at least finish it so that you're familiar with the controls and understand what is going on in the next one.

2. Never played it.

3. Heard it's great, but again...Never played it.

4. Heard it was horrible and buggy, never actually played it though.

5. Great game, or so I've heard. Again...NEVER PLAYED IT! Crying or Very sad
Back to top Go down
http://showcase.netins.net/web/sanguinethrone/
cocoabean
Admin
cocoabean

PostSubject: Re: What I'll be playing instead of GTA4   What I'll be playing instead of GTA4 EmptyFri May 02, 2008 10:08 am

Rob wrote:

Where the hell did you hear Mass Effect was horrible and buggy? I've never heard that before. I played through it completely and never had a problem. I never had any problems that were noteworthy. I thought it was a great game, I know jack loves the shit out of it.
Back to top Go down
John
wannabe
John

PostSubject: Re: What I'll be playing instead of GTA4   What I'll be playing instead of GTA4 EmptyFri May 02, 2008 10:40 am

scottro wrote:
Rob wrote:

Where the hell did you hear Mass Effect was horrible and buggy? I've never heard that before. I played through it completely and never had a problem. I never had any problems that were noteworthy. I thought it was a great game, I know jack loves the shit out of it.

Probably from me.

- Textures take forever to load half the time and it's quite annoying. I've had major lag issues, just horrible to play that way. Probably better on PC, as it was meant for PC in the first place.

- AI is buggy as hell. I'll command the party to take cover behind giant wall, they do for about 3 seconds, then apparently think it's okay now and walk right back out. They constantly die.

- Talking to other characters with all the choices and stuff didn't actual have any meat to it. I mean, it had the pretty overlay but if you get down to it, it didn't mean squat, from what I found. It makes your rebel bar or other bar go higher or lower and SOMETIMES you say something different. Sometimes different choices says the same damn thing, but somehow develops your character different. But does this have any impact on the actual game or storyline? Not from what I saw. Just like LOTOR, doesn't mean crap to be dark or light side, just makes your character looks either crazy or not way or another and you can either have light or dark powers. Wa-fucking-hoo.
Back to top Go down
cocoabean
Admin
cocoabean

PostSubject: Re: What I'll be playing instead of GTA4   What I'll be playing instead of GTA4 EmptyFri May 02, 2008 10:58 am

John wrote:
scottro wrote:
Rob wrote:

Probably from me.

- Textures take forever to load half the time and it's quite annoying. I've had major lag issues, just horrible to play that way. Probably better on PC, as it was meant for PC in the first place.

- AI is buggy as hell. I'll command the party to take cover behind giant wall, they do for about 3 seconds, then apparently think it's okay now and walk right back out. They constantly die.

- Talking to other characters with all the choices and stuff didn't actual have any meat to it. I mean, it had the pretty overlay but if you get down to it, it didn't mean squat, from what I found. It makes your rebel bar or other bar go higher or lower and SOMETIMES you say something different. Sometimes different choices says the same damn thing, but somehow develops your character different. But does this have any impact on the actual game or storyline? Not from what I saw. Just like LOTOR, doesn't mean crap to be dark or light side, just makes your character looks either crazy or not way or another and you can either have light or dark powers. Wa-fucking-hoo.

From my experience the decisions did matter from getting wrex killed or saving him to telling the one dude to shove it up his ass about his dead wife or to actually get some reconciliation on it. I never had any problems you experienced with textures and AI and such. I'm going with total PEBKAC Wink
Back to top Go down
jackal830
n00b
jackal830

PostSubject: Re: What I'll be playing instead of GTA4   What I'll be playing instead of GTA4 EmptyFri May 02, 2008 12:53 pm

Rob wrote:

I only had one bug with it ever. It was at a prison cell, I talked to the prisoner and there were zero dialog options. This is after over 100 hours of game play (I'm on my 5th play through).

It's a great game.

As far as the texture thing, that's just the 360 sucking terribly. PS3 wouldn't have that problem because it could use the Hard Drive. At least they do that instead of making you wait for all the textures to load. I'd rather have low load times.

Best game I've played in a while is Drakes Fortune. Too bad it's very short. Finished in 2 sittings. Still a great game. I'd suggest renting.

Oh, and I did pick up GTA4. Jim keeps telling me to pay $50 for Xbox Live Gold.... Microsoft, Nickel and Dimes you to death.

Buy Charge Pack
Buy Network Adaptor
Buy Xbox Live Gold

Anyways, I almost got GTA4 for the PS3 due to FREE multiplayer, but the whole 630p resolution thing made me opt for the 360 Sad
Back to top Go down
Bone
chighur-licious
Bone

PostSubject: Re: What I'll be playing instead of GTA4   What I'll be playing instead of GTA4 EmptyFri May 02, 2008 12:59 pm

jackal830 wrote:
Rob wrote:

I only had one bug with it ever. It was at a prison cell, I talked to the prisoner and there were zero dialog options. This is after over 100 hours of game play (I'm on my 5th play through).

It's a great game.

As far as the texture thing, that's just the 360 sucking terribly. PS3 wouldn't have that problem because it could use the Hard Drive. At least they do that instead of making you wait for all the textures to load. I'd rather have low load times.

Best game I've played in a while is Drakes Fortune. Too bad it's very short. Finished in 2 sittings. Still a great game. I'd suggest renting.

Oh, and I did pick up GTA4. Jim keeps telling me to pay $50 for Xbox Live Gold.... Microsoft, Nickel and Dimes you to death.

Buy Charge Pack
Buy Network Adaptor
Buy Xbox Live Gold

Anyways, I almost got GTA4 for the PS3 due to FREE multiplayer, but the whole 630p resolution thing made me opt for the 360 Sad

It comes with a NIC. You don't have to use the wireless one. You don't have to buy a charge pack, just use rechargeable AA batteries. $50 for an entire year of the gold service is about $4.17 a month. I realize that is like 6 hrs of pay for us Systems folks, but it is still worth it.
Back to top Go down
cocoabean
Admin
cocoabean

PostSubject: Re: What I'll be playing instead of GTA4   What I'll be playing instead of GTA4 EmptyFri May 02, 2008 1:01 pm

Bone wrote:
It comes with a NIC. You don't have to use the wireless one. You don't have to buy a charge pack, just use rechargeable AA batteries. $50 for an entire year of the gold service is about $4.17 a month. I realize that is like 6 hrs of pay for us Systems folks, but it is still worth it.

That must be the pay after 90 days Sad
Back to top Go down
John
wannabe
John

PostSubject: Re: What I'll be playing instead of GTA4   What I'll be playing instead of GTA4 EmptyFri May 02, 2008 1:15 pm

jackal830 wrote:
Rob wrote:

Assassin's Creed's graphics are just as good plus it shows a crap ton more at a time than Mass Effect and I never had lag issues. Load times are faster than Mass Effect's hour long elevator rides.

Anyways, yeah I'm really hoping for an upgrade on the 360 past their processor upgrade. Especially in game the side panels (like to switch user file or music or to shut down console) are laggy as hell.

Last edited by John on Fri May 02, 2008 1:17 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Bone
chighur-licious
Bone

PostSubject: Re: What I'll be playing instead of GTA4   What I'll be playing instead of GTA4 EmptyFri May 02, 2008 1:16 pm

scottro wrote:
Bone wrote:

That must be the pay after 90 days Sad

Yes. Assuming you've been here 7 or so years.
Back to top Go down
Matt
Admin
Matt

PostSubject: Re: What I'll be playing instead of GTA4   What I'll be playing instead of GTA4 EmptyFri May 02, 2008 4:05 pm

Mass Effect > Assassin's Creed
Back to top Go down
Rob
bard
Rob

PostSubject: Re: What I'll be playing instead of GTA4   What I'll be playing instead of GTA4 EmptyFri May 02, 2008 4:09 pm

Matt wrote:
Mass Effect > Assassin's Creed

Graphics, environment wise, I doubt it. Probably a better game all around though.

But I can't really say much since I've yet to play it.
Back to top Go down
Matt
Admin
Matt

PostSubject: Re: What I'll be playing instead of GTA4   What I'll be playing instead of GTA4 EmptyFri May 02, 2008 4:12 pm

Nope, I loved the environments in AC. Its an amazing feeling the first time you reach a city and scale to the top of a tower and look around. Mass Effect doesn't match that.

But overall, I think Mass Effect was a better gaming experience. It has its issues though.
Back to top Go down
Rob
bard
Rob

PostSubject: Re: What I'll be playing instead of GTA4   What I'll be playing instead of GTA4 EmptyFri May 02, 2008 4:16 pm

It's totally true. I remember climbing that first tower and looking around. I remember thinking "Wow, this is...fantastic...unbeatable...I'm gonna play this game forever"

4 hours later...

"Sigh, that's the 12th person I've saved from a gang and he's said the EXACT SAME paragraph of thanks."

"Do I really have to climb ALL these sodding towers?!?!"

"Hey, why can't I just kill the guy? I don't care what he has to say!"

"Why don't they notice that I'm the only scholar with a sword, dagger, and 5 throwing knives?"
Back to top Go down
cocoabean
Admin
cocoabean

PostSubject: Re: What I'll be playing instead of GTA4   What I'll be playing instead of GTA4 EmptyFri May 02, 2008 4:25 pm

Rob wrote:
It's totally true. I remember climbing that first tower and looking around. I remember thinking "Wow, this is...fantastic...unbeatable...I'm gonna play this game forever"

4 hours later...

"Sigh, that's the 12th person I've saved from a gang and he's said the EXACT SAME paragraph of thanks."

"Do I really have to climb ALL these sodding towers?!?!"

"Hey, why can't I just kill the guy? I don't care what he has to say!"

"Why don't they notice that I'm the only scholar with a sword, dagger, and 5 throwing knives?"

lol, yea pretty much. I think thats about how far I got before I returned my rental copy.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: What I'll be playing instead of GTA4   What I'll be playing instead of GTA4 Empty

Back to top Go down

What I'll be playing instead of GTA4
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
TheSpoonyBoard :: Games-
Jump to: