TheSpoonyBoard
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

gathering of friends and geeks discussing and promoting whatever we like.

TheSpoonyBardTheSpoonyBard  HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

GTA IV

Go down 
+2
cocoabean
Matt
6 posters
AuthorMessage
Matt
Admin
Matt

GTA IV Empty
PostSubject: GTA IV   GTA IV EmptyWed Apr 30, 2008 7:42 pm

So everyone has been playing it, but none of you are talking about it here?

Let's hear some damn impressions, yes?
Back to top Go down
cocoabean
Admin
cocoabean

GTA IV Empty
PostSubject: Re: GTA IV   GTA IV EmptyThu May 01, 2008 10:03 am

yea i was just thinking about that too. more to come after the sysadmin mtg...
Back to top Go down
http://thespoonybard.com
Bone
chighur-licious
Bone

GTA IV Empty
PostSubject: Re: GTA IV   GTA IV EmptyThu May 01, 2008 2:03 pm

I haven't spent enough time with it to form a final opinion, but what I've seen/done so far is all extremely well done except for silly things like bowling and pool. The minigame shit is boring and takes too fucking long. I'd rather be out driving or doing missions.

In the game itself, your cousin Roman is all about "big, round American titties". He only talks abouts 3 things: tits, owing money to bad people, and he's gonna make it big someday.

The city itself is a entity. Looks greats, sounds great, very dynamic.

Online, the hour or so I spent with it is just awesome so far. Cops N' Crooks is a blast regardless if you are the cop or the crook. It's just fun to play. Deathmatch is deathmatch, which is still fun.

I'm gonna spend some more time with it tonight, might have more to say on it tomorrow.
Back to top Go down
John
wannabe
John

GTA IV Empty
PostSubject: Re: GTA IV   GTA IV EmptyFri May 02, 2008 8:51 am

I have about 30% game progression under my belt, and I must say it's one of my favorite games for the 360. I agree that the minigames could've used a little more work to be worthwhile as the dynamics of pool/bowling are bogus and take too long. The storyline is okay, better than a couple of the previous games in the series.

Yeah, Roman is pretty annoying too but that is his character. I haven't touched online yet, I may have more on that later.
Back to top Go down
Bone
chighur-licious
Bone

GTA IV Empty
PostSubject: Re: GTA IV   GTA IV EmptyFri May 02, 2008 3:45 pm

Take Two's 12 step "fix" for PS3s that are freezing with GTA4

"Take-Two also states that if you follow the 12-step procedure and your
game still has issues, it will allow you to reopen your complaint seven
days later."

Well, how kind of them to let you reopen a case a full week later after their half assed fix attmepts don't work. Such bullshit.
Back to top Go down
cocoabean
Admin
cocoabean

GTA IV Empty
PostSubject: Re: GTA IV   GTA IV EmptyFri May 02, 2008 3:47 pm

Ha, or you could just buy it on the 360 like....everyone else.
Back to top Go down
John
wannabe
John

GTA IV Empty
PostSubject: Re: GTA IV   GTA IV EmptyFri May 02, 2008 3:49 pm

scottro wrote:
Ha, or you could just buy it on the 360 like....everyone else.

Apparently 360 is having the same issues.

Not mine, but I've heard rumors of them upgrading the processor to 65nm intead of 90nm technology when they go in for repair. I'll probably check mine once the warranty expires.
Back to top Go down
Rob
bard
Rob

GTA IV Empty
PostSubject: Re: GTA IV   GTA IV EmptyFri May 02, 2008 3:57 pm

Mine is the Halo3 edition. Those came with the newer processors right?
Back to top Go down
http://showcase.netins.net/web/sanguinethrone/
John
wannabe
John

GTA IV Empty
PostSubject: Re: GTA IV   GTA IV EmptyFri May 02, 2008 3:58 pm

Rob wrote:

They were supposed to. You get lag on the side blades? Btw, we're totally soaking up the point count as you're sitting right next to me Razz
Back to top Go down
Matt
Admin
Matt

GTA IV Empty
PostSubject: Re: GTA IV   GTA IV EmptyFri May 02, 2008 4:04 pm

Rob wrote:

If I remember correctly, no. But I stopped paying attention after the first shipments were going out.
Back to top Go down
Rob
bard
Rob

GTA IV Empty
PostSubject: Re: GTA IV   GTA IV EmptyFri May 02, 2008 4:11 pm

Actually, the only game I've ever had lag on was Two Worlds, but it's obvious the reason there. Forgive me for bringing up that sad piece of trash.
Back to top Go down
jackal830
n00b
jackal830

GTA IV Empty
PostSubject: Re: GTA IV   GTA IV EmptySun May 04, 2008 9:26 pm

I should first say that I've never been a fan of GTA (which is why I was reluctant to pick it up), so that being said...

At first I really liked this game, but now I'm wondering if I'll complete the game. I only have 2 playing sessions under my belt. The first session was amazing fun, but now after getting done with my second, the game has all the same faults of its predecessors.

1) The violence, gore, and sex thrill factor wears off eventually. You don't see it at this level in most games, so at first it's quite amazing, but wears off quickly
2) The controls are just downright awful. Everything is just clunky. You hit a button and feel like your waiting for your character to start doing what you told him to do.
3) Missions get repetitive. They do try to mix them up as best they can, but I have more fun "racing" in a racing game, or shooting people in a shooter.

Then there are some new complaints:
1) The mini games all suck
2) Trying to have a "social life" is downright boring

Anyway. I'll give it another couple of gaming sessions before I file it under my Kameo stack (Games that started out fun, but became so boring/repetitive I never finished)

For reference, the Kameo Stack is comprised of (Current Gen):

Kameo: Elements of Power
Dead of Alive 4 (If you can count it as being "finished")
Ninja Gaiden Sigma

Hmm, that's a pretty short stack... Pardon my rumblings, but I figured I had more games I hadn't beat........ But I guess if I can bear to beat Blue Dragon, I can bear to beat most of my games.

Anyway, I guess I just have a strange taste in gaming, as I'm sure many of you all think I'm nuts for disliking GTA.
Back to top Go down
Matt
Admin
Matt

GTA IV Empty
PostSubject: Re: GTA IV   GTA IV EmptyMon May 05, 2008 8:27 am

I have to say that after spending a weekend with it now, I am feeling similar to Jack.

Judging off the previews, it seems like they were going to really make this a new experience, finally worthy of being the next step in the series. Instead, it is just the same stuff. Sure, some stuff is improved over the previous games in the series, but it just feels like an update and not an evolution for the series.

Maybe my expectations were a bit too high, I just have this 'been there, done that' feeling with it. It's mainly the missions. They are dreadful. Sure, the mini games are boring, but if it had a strong story to push the game forward, that would be forgivable. I am going to try really hard to finish my first GTA game with this one. I just know that the only thing that is fun with this game is the random violence factor and I feel I shouldn't have paid 60 bucks to recreate that experience that I already went through with the last several I have played.
Back to top Go down
John
wannabe
John

GTA IV Empty
PostSubject: Re: GTA IV   GTA IV EmptyMon May 05, 2008 8:30 am

I haven't played GTA since GTA: Vice City first came out, so it's been a similar experience but I loved those games.

Personally, I'm still having a blast. I haven't had any issues with the missions yet, but who knows.

I can see where you guys are coming from.
Back to top Go down
Rob
bard
Rob

GTA IV Empty
PostSubject: Re: GTA IV   GTA IV EmptyMon May 05, 2008 8:37 am

I'm glad I didn't go out and buy it then. I'll just borrow it from John. Very Happy
Back to top Go down
cocoabean
Admin
cocoabean

GTA IV Empty
PostSubject: Re: GTA IV   GTA IV EmptyMon May 05, 2008 9:21 am

Matt wrote:
I have to say that after spending a weekend with it now, I am feeling similar to Jack.

Judging off the previews, it seems like they were going to really make this a new experience, finally worthy of being the next step in the series. Instead, it is just the same stuff. Sure, some stuff is improved over the previous games in the series, but it just feels like an update and not an evolution for the series.

Maybe my expectations were a bit too high, I just have this 'been there, done that' feeling with it. It's mainly the missions. They are dreadful. Sure, the mini games are boring, but if it had a strong story to push the game forward, that would be forgivable. I am going to try really hard to finish my first GTA game with this one. I just know that the only thing that is fun with this game is the random violence factor and I feel I shouldn't have paid 60 bucks to recreate that experience that I already went through with the last several I have played.

I think I am getting to about the same spot here. It does feel that the series has upgraded but its still more of the same though so far (about 10-12 hours) I am still enjoying it. I think Roman is genuinely started to get pissed at me b/c I never respond to him unless its for a mission. And my "girlfriend" has been ignored and is started to have confidence issues based due to it. I am also going to try and make this my first GTA fully completed. Last time I looked I was about 12% complete but I did a shit-ton of missions last night so I wouldn't be surprised if I was up to 20% or so.
Back to top Go down
John
wannabe
John

GTA IV Empty
PostSubject: Re: GTA IV   GTA IV EmptyMon May 05, 2008 9:23 am

I must've ran missions like crazy when I've been playing, I was about 25% through after 12 hours
Back to top Go down
Bone
chighur-licious
Bone

GTA IV Empty
PostSubject: Re: GTA IV   GTA IV EmptyMon May 05, 2008 9:54 am

Matt wrote:
Sure, the mini games are boring, but if it had a strong story to push the game forward, that would be forgivable.

We've all the done the missions before, they are nothihg new. The story tho...you get flashes of a deeper story than we're accustomed to. I was having a good time playing, but when Niko told his first war story, I was a bit taken aback. Then again, when he talks a bit about it to Mikihail's (sp?) wife, I wa curious. At this point, I'm playing the game not to increase my completion percentage, but to see how Niko's story plays out. For me, that is a first for a GTA title.

I won't give any story details, for fear of spoilers, but this dude is haunted, he's got a grudge, and he's fucking vicious to those who get in his way. I've gotten to the point where he is showing a bit of anger along with the smart ass stuff. I'm enjoying it and will keep going.
Back to top Go down
Bone
chighur-licious
Bone

GTA IV Empty
PostSubject: Re: GTA IV   GTA IV EmptyMon May 05, 2008 9:55 am

scottro wrote:
Matt wrote:

I think I am getting to about the same spot here. It does feel that the series has upgraded but its still more of the same though so far (about 10-12 hours) I am still enjoying it. I think Roman is genuinely started to get pissed at me b/c I never respond to him unless its for a mission. And my "girlfriend" has been ignored and is started to have confidence issues based due to it. I am also going to try and make this my first GTA fully completed. Last time I looked I was about 12% complete but I did a shit-ton of missions last night so I wouldn't be surprised if I was up to 20% or so.

I've read if you complete just the story missions you only will complete a little over 60% of the game.
Back to top Go down
cocoabean
Admin
cocoabean

GTA IV Empty
PostSubject: Re: GTA IV   GTA IV EmptyMon May 05, 2008 10:41 am

Bone wrote:
scottro wrote:
Matt wrote:

I've read if you complete just the story missions you only will complete a little over 60% of the game.

That wouldn't surprise me, I've been doing "friend" missions as well and am fully caught up with them to this point. Still gotta work on the "most wanted" via the police car though.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

GTA IV Empty
PostSubject: Re: GTA IV   GTA IV Empty

Back to top Go down

GTA IV
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
TheSpoonyBoard :: Games-
Jump to: